Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 11 Dec 2006 to 12 Dec 2006 (#2006-103)

Thanks everyone for the response to this question.
I am getting fantastic alternative suggestions on the binding of Ficciones by Borges,
I love the suggestion of the handwritten manuscript as well as the book of illustrations and the book box. All excellent ,creative suggestions.

On the legal note, I went to the Library of Congress to check the copyright. There are no copyrights under the Borges name for Jorge Borges - a number of other authors named Borges but none with the Ficciones title has been registered.

However, under the title Ficciones there is one copyright in effect. It is the Anthony Kerrigan (English-UK) translation from Grove Weidenfeld publisher. The last effective registration date is Oct 15 1990.

From this information, dare I assume, that if I used a different translation of the Spanish text or even had it translated myself that I could use the other English translation as long as it isn't the Kerrigan version?

Esther Kibby, MFA, Professor/Designer
Interactive Media Design
Graphic Design