Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:34:36 -0500
From: J Godsey <gods1216@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] FICCIONES CopyWrong

Calm the F* down. Book artists have been making singular copies of copyrighted works for ages now.
If you wanna bitch slap everyone who makes or vends one you are gonna be very  very busy.

Artists books are sold for their artistic value not their textural one.
Who the hell would sit down and read a 35,000 dollar copy of a book?
I would agree that doing a small press run artist book or no would be extremely bad manners

But creating ONE copy of an item in an art binding for a client doesn't really constitute a violation of copyright

This is outrageous! FICCIONES was registered by Borges for copyright in 1956. That copyright extends 95 years. No, your own translation does not invalidate the Estate's copyright. Do you think making a bad translation turns Borges' words, his life, into your own? Why not just seek the Estate's permission rather than trying to figure a weasel way around the artist's rights? And you an "MFA"!

But further, how can anyone consider a binding design made
with no reference to the design or structure of the book
itself a "fine" or "designer" binding.
Even Whitman chocolate box design respects the contents more
than your proposal.

--- Esther Kibby <ekibby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks everyone for the response to this question.
I am getting fantastic alternative suggestions on the binding of
Ficciones by Borges, I love the suggestion of the handwritten
manuscript as well as the book of illustrations and the
book box. All
excellent ,creative suggestions.

On the legal note, I went to the Library of Congress to check the
copyright. There are no copyrights under the Borges name for Jorge
Borges - a number of other authors named Borges but none with the
Ficciones title has been registered.

However, under the title Ficciones there is one copyright
in effect.
It is the Anthony Kerrigan (English-UK) translation from Grove
Weidenfeld publisher. The last effective registration date
is Oct 15
1990.

 From this information, dare I assume, that if I used a different
translation of the Spanish text or even had it translated
myself that
I could use the other English translation as long as it isn't the
Kerrigan version?

Esther Kibby, MFA, Professor/Designer
Interactive Media Design
Graphic Design
Book Arts
Art Institute of Dallas
voice: 214.692.8080
email: ekibby@xxxxxxxxxx

<http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>

Guild of Book Workers' 100th Anniversary Exhibition Online
- Catalog
Available

http://new.mail.yahoo.com