Re: [BKARTS] FICCIONES CopyWrong

"potty mouth" excellent! :0)

Copyleft <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft>

On 12/13/06, Esther Kibby <ekibby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

WHOA! Lots of misunderstanding here. If I were going to steal an authors words - (which I can't fathom doing) - I wouldn't ask for discussion about copyright on a discussion list. Borges is a respected artist in my mind. I am not looking to take anything away from his genius.

A bit of history here might help clarify further.  I did a cover design
proposal for the Degolyer Fourth Triennial and won the Jury Prize for
Design. You can see it here -
http://www.smu.edu/bridwell/exhibits/degolyerhighlights/
degolyerhighlights.htm

This binding I am proposing is NOT FOR SALE to anyone. It is only for
myself. I am NOT looking to PROFIT from another's work. I am trying to
create a model of the design cover that I have envisioned FOR MYSELF -
to challenge my skills!

One of the most beautiful works I have seen is the the Ediciones Dos
Amigos edition, a large folio collection of his stories accompanied by
various artist's renditions in Intaglio. However, $4,000 is out of my
meager salary range.

Thank you Mr. Godsey for your clarification of my intent. I WANTED to
REBIND an old used copy of the work, but cannot find one in the
appropriate size to do so. They have all been printed around the size
of 5" x 8". I have been exploring ideas as to how as an artist I also
could "illustrate" the stories. Artists inspire other artists - as
Borges has inspired me.

My USA copyright knowledge has gathered a lot of dust over the years so
I am trying to find knowledgeable people who can constructively inform
me. I certainly know nothing about international copyrights or how they
work. I am not a lawyer but I truly want to know HOW I can go about
realizing the design I have crafted without damage to any other artist!

The lawyer I have consulted was very vague about how to go about
searching for ways to do this project. The only information he gave me
that work I did was copyrighted in my name - which I already knew.

I thank those of you have given me constructive contact information and
my plans are to follow up on those references. I trust this list and
the people on it for the information they impart - otherwise I would
not ask.

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, J Godsey wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:34:36 -0500
>> From: J Godsey <gods1216@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Re: [BKARTS] FICCIONES CopyWrong
>> Calm the F* down. Book artists have been making singular copies of
>> copyrighted works for ages now.
>> If you wanna bitch slap everyone who makes or vends one you are gonna
>> be very  very busy.
>>
>> Artists books are sold for their artistic value not their textural
>> one.
>> Who the hell would sit down and read a 35,000 dollar copy of a book?
>> I would agree that doing a small press run artist book or no would be
>> extremely bad manners
>>
>> But creating ONE copy of an item in an art binding for a client
>> doesn't really constitute a violation of copyright
>>

>>> This is outrageous!
>>> FICCIONES was registered by Borges for copyright in 1956.
>>> That copyright extends 95 years.
>>> No, your own translation does not invalidate the Estate's
>>> copyright. Do you think making a bad translation turns
>>> Borges' words, his life, into your own?
>>> Why not just seek the Estate's permission rather than trying
>>> to figure a weasel way around the artist's rights? And you an "MFA"!
>>>
>>> But further, how can anyone consider a binding design made
>>> with no reference to the design or structure of the book
>>> itself a "fine" or "designer" binding.
>>> Even Whitman chocolate box design respects the contents more
>>> than your proposal.

>>> book box. All

>>> in effect.
>>> is Oct 15

>>> myself that

>>> - Catalog
>>>>

>>> <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/gallery/100anniversary/>

>>> Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
>>> http://new.mail.yahoo.com
>>>
>>>              ***********************************************
>>>
>>>          The Bonefolder, Vol. 3, No. 1, Fall 2006 Now Online at
>>>                  <http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>
>>>
>>> Guild of Book Workers' 100th Anniversary Exhibition Online -
>>> Catalog Available
>>>    <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/gallery/100anniversary/>
>>>
>>>              For all your subscription questions, go to the
>>>                       Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.
>>>
>>>           See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information
>>>              ***********************************************

>>         The Bonefolder, Vol. 3, No. 1, Fall 2006 Now Online at
>>                 <http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>
>>
>> Guild of Book Workers' 100th Anniversary Exhibition Online - Catalog
>> Available
>>   <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/gallery/100anniversary/>
>>
>>             For all your subscription questions, go to the
>>                      Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.
>>
>>          See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information

>                                             See
> <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full information

> [...]