[BKARTS] Symposium on the artists' books movement

In honor of the 65th Anniversary
of the founding of the Scripps College Press,
the Press is sponsoring an all-day
Frederic W. Goudy Symposium

on January 27, 2007

at Scripps College, Claremont, California
entitled

Mallarmé’s Coup d’Etat: The Rise of the Artists’ Book.

Noted scholars Betty Bright, Johanna Drucker, Judd Hubert,
Clifton Meador and Buzz Spector will explore the thesis
that the writings of Mallarmé in the late nineteenth century
about the nature of the book and the space of the page
instigated the artists’ book movement in the 20th century.
Topics to be discussed include the graphic work of the
Italian and Russian Futurists, the ground-breaking
Sonia Delaunay/Blaise Cendrars publication
La Prose du Transsibérien et de la petite Jehanne de France,
the work of the Russian Iliazd, the rise of concrete poetry,
the 60’s shift to democratic multiples, fine press artists’ books,
and the rise of the sculptural bookwork.

We conceived of this program on May 23, 2005
after hearing about an exhibition at University of California at Irvine
on the subject of variations of Mallarmé’s poem, Un Coup de dés,
which Judd Hubert said sparked the artists’ books movement.
We invited UCI and Judd to reprise and expand the exhibition
in the Clark Humanities Museum at Scripps College.
We also invited curator Judd to select books from our Denison
Library collection to show Mallarmé’s influence on artists’ books
and present that exhibition in Denison Library.
The titles and dates are below.

Exhibition at the Clark Humanities Museum
January 16–March 9, 2007
A Throw of the Dice: Variations on Mallarmé’s Visual Poem

Exhibition at Denison Library
January 16–March 9, 2007
A Poetic Coup d’Etat: Mallarmé’s Influence on Artists’ Books

In addition, we are producing a catalog titled
Mallarmé’s Coup d’Etat: Un Coup de dés
which includes these two exhibitions.
We also included an essay by Judd Hubert
on Mallarmé’s influence on contemporary artists’ books
originally written in French and translated into English
specially for the catalog. We received a grant
of $5000 from the Book Club of California
and a grant from Marylou and George Boone
to print the catalog for Scripps College.
These will be available at the Symposium.

My Core III students at Scripps College produced artists’ books
at the end of the semester class called From Materiality to Immateriality:
the Coming of the Artist Book. You will be able to view these books
at a special opening of their exhibit on the evening before the
Symposium from 7:00-9:00 on January 26, 2007.
The Core III students also wrote the catalog and hung the exhibit
Two Much Bliss: Twenty Years of Granary Books
in the Clark Humanities Museum in October, 2006.
The catalog and DVD of their work with Granary Books exhibit
and a presentation of their own artist books
will be available at the opening.

The Scripps College Press will be open for viewing
at the symposium, and examples of the 41 collaborative books we have
produced over the last twenty years will be available for perusal.

If you are interested in registering for this event,
please send a check for $60 to the

Scripps College Press,
1030 Columbia Avenue
Claremont, California 91711.

The registration fee includes lunch and dinner,
coffee and tea in the morning and at breaks,
and the reception for the opening of the exhibits.
The festivities begin at 9:00 on January 27, 2007
and will continue after dinner in the Humanities Auditorium
on the Scripps College campus.
More details will be forthcoming.
Deadline for registration is January 15, 2007.

Hotel arrangements can be made at the
Doubletree Hotel in Claremont at 800 854-5733.
The hotel is within walking distance of the colleges.
If you are flying to Claremont, the nearest airport is Ontario Airport.

For further information, contact Kitty Maryatt at
kmaryatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or telephone 909 607-3866.
You may be interested in perusing our website at
www.scrippscollege.edu/dept/art/press.