To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: Making cover for 26x38" book

How about gessoing both sides and edges of the plywood
with acrylic artist's gesso to create an ultra-thin
plastic seal on the plywood to seal in the wood's oils
and acidity?

Ann

--- William Minter <wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Dec 20, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Michael Andrews wrote:

> Plywood is ideal for flat and light.
> As far as I know there is no known method fro
isolating the acids and
> oils of the wood from the cloth and paper, other
than building
> sandwiches from a plastic like Mylar.
> ............ I would love to feel comfortable
about using plywood.

******************************
The making of boards for a large book has been an
interesting
discussion.
I have two suggestions:
1) Many years ago, the late Paul Banks was
confronted with a similar
challenge at Chicago's Newberry Library. If I
remember correctly, I
think that he and Gary Frost made a type of
honey-comb or corrugated
board. It would seem to me that one could
cross-laminate layers of
(acid-free) corrugated board, and add strips of
binder board around the
perimeter to improve the edge strength. These
components could be could
be sandwiched between sheets of binder board. It
would be quite rigid,
yet light, but might be too expensive to construct.
2)  As suggested, the use of plywood seems to be an
easy solution.
To counteract the concern of the wood itself, it
would seem that the
plywood could be wrapped with good, well-sized,
acid-free paper that is
adhered with PVA. The PVA would bond nicely to the
wood, and should
form a good barrier against any undesirable chemical
movement. The
paper would then be a good surface for any book
covering materials.
Note that I suggested wrapping the plywood --- the
paper should turn-in
over the edge of the plywood for maximum benefit,
and that opposite
surface should be infilled with the same paper to
maintain a flat
board. It is very important to use the same adhesive
and the same
number of layers for both surfaces, otherwise the
board (the plywood)
will 'pull'.
Bill Minter

William Minter Bookbinding & Conservation, Inc. 4364 Woodbury Pike Woodbury, PA 16695 814-793-4020 Fax: 814-793-4045 Email: wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

         The Bonefolder, Vol. 3, No. 1, Fall 2006
Now Online at

<http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>

Guild of Book Workers' 100th Anniversary Exhibition
Online - Catalog Available

          See <http://www.philobiblon.com> for full
information

http://mail.yahoo.com