Re: [BKARTS] Making cover for 26x38" book

Below is a bibliography which I posted on the list in June of 2000, that
contains literature about the problems encountered using wood in library and
museum collections.   The main point is that there is no way to effectively seal
wood to completely prevent acids from migrating.   Plywood has its own extreme
problems in regard to chemicals used for its fabrication.   As I recall, the
plywood formulated for outdoor use is more stable than that made for indoor use.

Perhaps there has been some improvement in the fabrication of plywood since I
last explored this subject (and if so, please post it), but if not, I would
recommend Gary Frost's solution (previously mentioned by Bill Minter) of using
an alkaline corrugated core with non-wood alkaline boards adhered to it if you
are interested in protecting the contents of the book from eventual acidic
damage.

Anon.   "A.I.C. Meeting In Vancouver:   Effects of Wood."   Abbey Newsletter=
,
11, No. 4, 1987, pp. 51-2.

Arni, P.C. Cochrane, G.C., and Gray, J.D.   "The Emissions of Corrosive
Vapors by Wood.   I:   Survey of the Acid-Release Properties of Certain
Freshly Felled Hardwoods and Softwoods."   Journal of Applied Chemistry, 1=
5,
1965, pp. 305-13.

Arni, P.C. Cochrane, G.C., and Gray, J.D.   "The Emissions of Corrosive
Vapors by Wood.   II:   The Analysis of the Vapors Emitted by Certain Fresh=
ly
Felled Hardwoods and Softwoods by Gas Chromatography and Spectrophotometr=
y."
 Journal of Applied Chemistry, 15, 1965, pp. 643-8.

Baer, N.S. and Banks, P.N.   "Indoor Air Pollution."   Proceedings, Annual
Meeting, Air Pollution Control Association, 78, 1985, 85-8.

Berndt, H.   "Assessing the Detrimental Effects of Wood and Wood Products =
on
the Environment Inside Display Cases."   A.I.C. Preprints, Vancouver(?),
1987, pp. 22-33.

Blackshaw, S.M. and Daniels, V.D.   "Selecting Safe Materials for Use in t=
he
Display and Storage of Antiquities," Proceedings, 5th Triennial Meeting,
ICOM Committee for Conservation, October, 1978, Zagreb, 78-23-2.   pp.1-9.=

Carpenter, J.M. and Hatchfield, P.B.   "Formaldehyde:   How Great is the
Danger to Museum Collections?   Art Conservation Training Programs
Conference, 1985, pp.165-208.

Clarke, S.G. and Longhurst, E.E.   "The Corrosion of Metals by Acid Vapors=

from Wood."   Journal of Applied Chemistry, 11, 1961, pp. 435-43.

Couch, R. and Mihaly Turbucz.   "Trays for Lining and Partitioning Wooden
Storage Drawers."   Journal of the American Institute for Conservation, 22,=

No. 2, Spring 1983,   pp. 92-7.

Dalrymple, H.   "Display Materials Testing."   T. Boyce and H. Tate, eds.
T=
he
Laboratories of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland, NMAS,
Edinburgh, 1980, pp. 21-3.

FitzHugh E.W. and Gettens, R.J.   "Calcacite and Other Efflorescent
Salts on Objects Stored in Wooden Museum Cases."   R. Brill, Ed.   Science
and Archaeology, Cambridge (MA), 1971, pp. 91-101.

Hilberry, D., and Weinberg, S.K.   "Techniques.   Museum Collections. =

Storage.   Part I."   Museum News, 59, No. 5. 1981, pp. 7-21.

Hnatiuk, K.   "The Effects of Display Materials on Metal Artifacts." =

Gazette of the Canadian Museum's Association, Ottawa, 14, 1981, pp. 43-50.

Hodges, H.   "Showcases Made of Chemically Unstable Materials."   Museum,
(UNESCO) 34, No. 1, 1982, pp. 56-8.

Hopwood, W.R.   "Choosing Materials for Prolonged Proximity   to Museum
Objects."   AIC Preprints, Toronto, 1979, pp. 44-9.

Leveque, M.   "The Problem of Formaldehyde--a Case Study."   AIC Preprints,=

Chicago, 1986, pp.56-65.

Nockert, M. and Wadsten, T.   "Storage of Archeological Textile Finds in
Sealed Boxes."   Studies in   Conservation, 23, 1978, pp. 38-41.

?, "An Unsuspected Danger in Display."   Museum's Journal, 73, 1973, pp.
27-8.

Ogden, S.   "Treatment of Wooden Shelving for Books."   New Library Scene, =
5,
No. 4, 1986, p. 18.

Padfield, T. Erhardt,D., and Hopwood, W.   "Trouble in Store."   Science an=
Technology, IIC Congress, Washington, D.C. 1982, pp. 24-7.

Stolow, N.   Conservation and Exhibitions.   Boston:   Butterworths, 1986, p=
.
104.

Thomson, G.   Museum Environment.   Boston:   Butterworths, 1986, pp. 133,
154-6.

Nancy H. Nitzberg
Book-Care
Elkins Park, PA