Re: [BKARTS] Making cover for 26x38" book

one more suggestion on the large book.
Concerning the corrugated board, we made a large format book last year for a museum, using corrugated polypropylene board as the core with museum board laminated to the two sides to make it smooth (so the rippled surface of the corrugated board wouldnt show). The polypropylene is rigid and light and it works great with PVA. I'm not sure where you can get it in the US. Maybe Talas?
What resulted were pages (for these were the actual pages) that were light, but rigid, easy to make, and not too expensive, and it conformed to the conservation standards of the museum.

Laurel

The making of boards for a large book has been an interesting discussion.
I have two suggestions:
1) Many years ago, the late Paul Banks was confronted with a similar challenge at Chicago's Newberry Library. If I remember correctly, I think that he and Gary Frost made a type of honey-comb or corrugated board. It would seem to me that one could cross-laminate layers of (acid-free) corrugated board, and add strips of binder board around the perimeter to improve the edge strength. These components could be could be sandwiched between sheets of binder board. It would be quite rigid, yet light, but might be too expensive to construct.

Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/