Re: [BKARTS] Appropriate Use of Toluene

        I have been waging an ongoing battle with the chemiphobes on this list,
for example, the woman who went outside to use a magic marker because the ink
contains toluene.  I have tried to stress the fact that there are reasonable
concerns and there are unreasonable concerns.  I view the DMS as an alarmist
document, whose purpose is to serve the legal agenda of manufacturers and
distributors of products containing chemicals, not as a document which will
make anyone safer.  Look at the description of household bleach.  It reads like
a chemical warfare agent.
     Nevertheless, it seems to me the situation you are in calls for reasonable
concern.  I would take action, and address your concerns to your coworker.
There is a phenomena called in French la belle indifference, in which people
working with chemicals become desensitized to their dangers.  This phenomena
cost the lives (from oatmeal cell type lung cancer) of a number of Rohm and
Hass workers several years ago.   They were working with bischlormethyl ether
(ugly stuff) with their safety masks dislodged and laughingly coughing as they
inhaled the stuff,