felice

Felix E. Tebbe

www-personal.umich.edu/~felice

On Dec 23, 2006, at 12:00 AM, BOOK_ARTS-L automatic digest system wrote:

Date:    Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:10:29 -0600
From:    Jane Thompson <jane.thompson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Appropriate Use of Toluene

Hello,
	I have just started working in a lab that is using straight
Toluene to dissolve old tape.  The individual using the Toluene has a
light box on his bench on which he frequently sets a piece while using
Toluene (light is off though).

I question (1) the use of straight Toluene, (2) its storage in
an old glass peanut butter jar with a plastic lid, and (3) its use in
proximity to electrical equipment--lights operated off extension cords,
a light box, tacking irons, etc.

	Do any of you have recommendations on use of this product or can
you recommend another less toxic product for application to old
documents to dissolve tape.

Thanks,
Jane Thompson
Arkansas History Commission