Re: [BKARTS] Gild lines without stamps?

Florian,

Gum ammoniac is one substance that can be drawn with. When dry, one rehydrates it by breathing on it and then laying down a small square of gold. Gum ammoniac can be bought from John Neal Bookseller (http:// www.johnnealbooks.com/) and it comes with instructions about how to make it. If you want to buy a large quantity of it, you can get it from Kremer Inc. http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/englisch/homee.htm
Here is one place describing how to use it. http://www.geocities.com/ Athens/Forum/2963/gilding.html
I learned how to gild using both gum ammoniac and gesso (a very long process to make from scratch, but you can buy a single pre-made patty from JNB). Gum ammoniac gives a less shiny finish while gesso which is hard can allow the gold to be burnished to a high polish. The book I used is called Secreta by Joyce Grafe. http://www.amazon.com/ Secreta-Three-Methods-Laying-Gold/dp/0875952259
If you are interested in buying quantity of metal leaf, Art Essentials in NY is very helpful and very inexpensive compared to the usual cost of one book of gold. http://artessentialsofnewyork.com/ index.html
I have one piece on the internet which utilizes both gesso and gum ammoniac: http://www.cecilia-letteringart.com/dragonscave/ deannadragon.htm The finished size is approximately 20 x 24",
done on calfskin.
I hope this is helpful.

Deanna Jay Chu Nim