Re: [BKARTS] Review: "The Artist and the Book in Japan"

My apologies to Mr. Werner for the rather "personally" critical remarks in my message sent on 4 January.  A friend, knowing my strong interest in books produced in East Asia, forwarded Mr. Werner's comments as an attachment to an e-mail. I read the attachment and then wrote my reply, thinking that it was a personal communication to my friend and not realizing that it was, what I see quite belatedly, instead a very public reply to the Book Arts-List. We all understand that many things that are freely said in discussion with like-minded colleagues must be tempered for publication. Again my apologies for the inappropriateness of my remarks that I inadvertently made public.
    My delight in this landmark exhibit of Japanese books at the New York Public Library remains undimmed. In the next few days I may want to explain specifically why this large concentration of books from Japan, the vast majority of which are either woodblock-printed or manuscript books bound in traditional Japanese formats, is so significant and instructive for anyone interested in learning about the history of the many arts of the book and bookbinding.

But for now I at least need to correct the spelling of "palate" to "palette."

Nancy Norton Tomasko