Re: [BKARTS] 8 Century Psalter found in a bog in Ireland

Hi Myrna,

Neither parchment nor vellum are tanned. It is just dehumidified and scraped skin. The difference between parchment and vellum usually is the thickness and the surface. There are some very rare manuscripts, written on a vellum made of stillborn animals, which is even softer and thinner than the normal vellum, but it is still made without tanning process.
In the National Museum of Cairo you can find a scroll of tanned "parchment", it is a mixture of leather and parchment, but it dates from about 2000 B.C.

Florian.

Myrna Young schrieb:
The article states that the book is made from vellum
leaves rather than parchment. I believe I've read that
the tanning process for the 2 differs slightly.

I'm sure you're right about the lack of seepage to the
core of the book. When technicians are trying to
preserve animal material, they inject or pump
preserving fluids into the interior of the specimen in
order to preserve the entire thing.

Myrna