[BKARTS] Fog in the bog

> If I''m mistaken, I hope Paul will correct me!

No argument, except that the"traditionally" here refers to the
nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, when paleographers etc. were
picking up information from professional parchmenters and applying it to
medieval practices, kind of like what calligraphers have been doing with
nineteenth-century lettering to this day. At that time, and within the
system of industrial production there were differences in practice
between removing layers of fat and such from a sheep, vs. a cow.

Once you start looking at medieval practices you realize parchmenters
would use anything that fell under their knives. So, yes, trying to
distinguish between sheep and cow when you're dealing with goat, donkey,
deer, pig, etc, is like separating...well, you know. And let's try not
to think about the kitty cats, shall we?

Paul Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the
techniques of the medieval scribe