Re: [BKARTS] review: The Artist and the Book in Japan

While I agree with the comments below about the 'perfect' book arts
exhibition enabling visitors to touch and hold the books on display it
doesn't take into account the sheer numbers of people who visit
exhibitions as well as the physical security of rare or ancient objects.
Our Mirror of the World: Books and Ideas exhibition has been seen by over
80,000 people at the State Library of Victoria in the past 13 months
[http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/programs/exhibitions/dome/mirrorofworld.html]
and has been a huge boost to popular awareness of rare books as well as
artists' books throughout Australia.

Unless you want book arts to be the domain of just a small clique of book
lovers then institutions curating and displaying major exhibitions for a
broader audience will always have to address these issues and the most
cost effective solution is by mounting books in cases. The informed or
inititiated book lovers can still have their solo intimate experiences
with books by organising a viewing with the rare books librarians or
keeper who look after the collections.

Even with their limitations (crowds etc) exhibitions can assist with
promoting popular awareness of book arts and supporting curatorial
research into books that may not be possible without the broader scope of
large scale projects.

Robert Heather
State Library of Victoria
Melbourne, Australia