Re: [BKARTS] Manuals for Kensol?

On Jan 8, 2007, at 4:58 PM, Ethan Ensign wrote:

I was wondering why the Kensol is your favorite stamping press.
Do you think you would explain the difference between a Kensol and Kwikprint?
I have only used a Kwikprint and was thinking of getting the adjustable bed model.
Or maybe a Kensol (if I knew why it was better!).

******************************
I have used the Kwikprint for small, single line work, but in most work it is too small and lightweight, and almost seems like a toy. I am also familiar with a few other styles of stamping presses, but I think that the Kensol offers some of the best features.
Mine is an older Model 36 that has a thermostatically controlled heating element and is hand operated. (A hand operated press is best for single or small-run work, whereas an air operated press is useful for long-runs, i.e. hundreds/thousands of items.)
If I remember correctly, the Model 36 provides 3 tons of pressure over an area of about 6" x 9" which is ideal for larger titles of set-type, or for stamping dies. Other chases handle single or multiple lines of type in one stamping.
As with most hot stamping presses, either the upper mechanism or the base is adjustable to provide the proper pressure. The Kensol has a large stable bed where the work is positioned and this bed is adjustable for the correct pressure when the stamping head is pulled to a locked/maximum pressure position. I rarely, however, need that much pressure, and thus rely solely on "feel" --- this is a must when there is only one item to be stamped.
Another nice feature is that the stamping bed can be removed so that one can work directly on the main support this metal dove-tail post is about 6" x 9". This main support has been very useful to me when I needed to stamp the cover of a bound book --- the text block would hang down along the side of the post while I was able to apply the proper pressure on only the cover itself (instead of the entire book with textblock); and make-ready was easily done for a good impression.

I should also add that I use what we call a "Stamping Force" --- this is something that I learned from the late, Bill Anthony. It is an auxiliary, removable bed of plexiglas that aligns precisely and consistently with the main/original bed. The work to be stamped is secured to this auxiliary bed while this auxiliary surface is out of the press. The whole assembly is then inserted into the press, aligned, and the stamping is done. Upon removal from the press, the work can be cleaned and inspected, AND, if needed, the whole assembly can be reinserted in order to obtain a better, more uniform impression.

As stated by other contributors, the bed must be properly aligned with the stamping head for a good impression. And in some case, make-ready will still be needed for a good impression.

Also, to check the accuracy of the thermostat, McMaster-Carr Supply Co. (www.mcmaster.com) carries a line of Temperature Indicating Labels (stickers), i. e. Catalog # 5956k16 that are very useful.

Bill Minter

William Minter Bookbinding & Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA  16695
814-793-4020
Fax:   814-793-4045
Email:    wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

***********************************************
The Bonefolder, Vol. 3, No. 1, Fall 2006 Now Online at
<http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>
Guild of Book Workers' 100th Anniversary Exhibition Online - Catalog Available
<http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/gallery/100anniversary/>