To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2007 9:17 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] Removing adhesive from spine

I just bought a 2003 edition of the Britannica, former library copy. I would like to remove the library stickers from the spine. There are white standard address-type labels with the volume information and they are covered with a translucent (not transparent) tape. The tape is plastic and a bit stretchy. Both stickers and tape leave nasty sticky residue on the spine of the book. I tried a bit of rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip to remove the sticky residue. The adhesive residue did not come off but the gold letters on the spine and the spine color itself started to fade so I quit.

I hesitate to use anything stronger because I don't want to damage the
books. Any suggestions?
I am not a book professional, just a book lover but I know a bit about any
product that has to do with printmaking and art in general.

Ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Maria

   Maria Arango