Re: [BKARTS] Removing adhesive from spine

modern adhesives are acrylic and respond to heat and naphtha and/or white spirits.

first try HEAT. pick up a ten dollar quilting iron
they have a small diamond head about the size of a match book.
you can cover the stickers with paper so that the warmed adhesive will not get on the iron.
this should warm the sticker enough to peel off.

if you still have adhesive on the spine, use Ronsonol lighter fluid 100% naphtha to remove the rest of it.
white spirits can be pick up at the paint store.
both work well on stickers.

SCRAPING is almost never necessary.
the rubbing alcohol probably reacted with the book cloth dies which are not color fast.

j godsey
unbound: book repair for booksellers
www.sicpress.com

I just bought a 2003 edition of the Britannica, former library copy.
I would like to remove the library stickers from the spine. There are white
standard address-type labels with the volume information and they are
covered with a translucent (not transparent) tape. The tape is plastic and a
bit stretchy.
Both stickers and tape leave nasty sticky residue on the spine of the book.
I tried a bit of rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip to remove the sticky residue.
The adhesive residue did not come off but the gold letters on the spine and
the spine color itself started to fade so I quit.

I hesitate to use anything stronger because I don't want to damage the
books. Any suggestions?
I am not a book professional, just a book lover but I know a bit about any
product that has to do with printmaking and art in general.

Ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Maria

   Maria Arango