From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Maria
Arango
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 12:17 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Removing adhesive from spine

I just bought a 2003 edition of the Britannica, former library copy. I would
like to remove the library stickers from the spine. There are white standard
address-type labels with the volume information and they are covered with a
translucent (not transparent) tape. The tape is plastic and a bit stretchy.
Both stickers and tape leave nasty sticky residue on the spine of the book.
I tried a bit of rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip to remove the sticky residue.
The adhesive residue did not come off but the gold letters on the spine and
the spine color itself started to fade so I quit.

I hesitate to use anything stronger because I don't want to damage the
books. Any suggestions? I am not a book professional, just a book lover but
I know a bit about any product that has to do with printmaking and art in
general.

Ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Maria