Re: [BKARTS] Removing adhesive from spine success and thank you

Goof-off is much stronger and will go right through a coated dust jacket and remove printed inks.
It is best used to take stickers of non-porous items

Goo-be Gone may stain paper

Heptane, butane, Naphtha, xylene,  white spirits, will evaporate completely - leaving no marks.

Most recently I ran an experiment removing white out.
http://bibliophilebullpen.blogspot.com/2006/12/todays-experiment-correcting.html

As far as safety if you are only using minute amounts in large rooms, you rarely have a problem.