Re: [BKARTS] Hi Richard

Richard,
Congratulations! That's simply terrific news. Kept as a collection as well, with title. Congratulations. I'm very pleased. It was a lot work for you I know, probably a lot of fun. I'm glad to have taken part in the limited way that I did. I would still like to come over. I can't see how Vera can come this week at all, she's got editing deadlines today and tomorrow and then her mother's birthday etc, etc. but I'd like to stop by, if even in an afternoon. I'm available today or tomorrow really. Are you busy? Let me know. That's great news. -Chris

From: Richard Minsky <minsky@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Publishers' Bindings Collection has been acquired
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:40:53 -0500

Many thanks go to those who saw the American Decorated Publishers' Bindings 1872-1929 collection sale announced on Book_arts-L and expressed interest in acquiring it. For those who have not yet contacted me and are investigating funding possibilities, this collection is no longer available.

Several institutions presented compelling reasons for their acquisition of it, and the decision went to the University of Alabama. In addition to a library school with a MLIS program http://www.slis.ua.edu/ it has one of the best MFA in Book Arts programs http://www.bookarts.ua.edu/

They also have created the Publishers' Bindings Online project to promote the appreciation and study of publishers' bindings ca. 1815-1930, http://bindings.lib.ua.edu and are building on an existing collection strength on this subject to develop a major research collection pertaining to publishers' bindings.

If you have purchased the catalog and wish to study the actual books therein, the U of A will be retaining the separate and distinct identity of this collection within their special collections as the Minsky Collection. If you have not yet purchased the catalog, and would like to acquire a copy, there are still 40 copies of the Limited Edition and 12 copies of the Deluxe Edition available, as well as the CD-ROM edition. Information is at http://minsky.com/orderform-subscription1.htm

I am continuing to build collections in this area, and will stay in touch with those who wished to acquire this one. If you are interested in developing a collection of this type for your institution, please do contact me.

Best regards,

Richard
http://minsky.com

From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has