[BKARTS] Interim covers for damaged leather, rare books

Colleagues,
I have an unusual challenge: A client has a nine-volume set of rare, valuable books that was damaged by fire. Unfortunately, the cost for the necessary treatment exceeds the budget. The books will probably be sold "As Is".
As I prepare to return the books, we are looking for an interim cover that would protect the contents from any further damage from the dusty, red-rotted, now smoke damaged leather; some of the sewing is also broken so there are loose leaves as well.
A suitable wrapper would be ideal, and yet allow a new/future owner to have the books properly treated.
A phase box is another possibility, but I wonder if there is anything else? I also know that some libraries use a clear, plastic film, dust-jacket type wrapper to hold and protect a cover from further exposure --- I recently obtained some soft, archival polypropylene film that would be a good possibility.
I wonder if there are any other alternatives or suggestions from the List?
Thanks for your help,
Bill Minter

William Minter Bookbinding & Conservation, Inc. 4364 Woodbury Pike Woodbury, PA 16695 814-793-4020 Fax: 814-793-4045 Email: wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx