Re: [BKARTS] Interim covers for damaged leather, rare books

William, a thin archival tissue wrap of the text block and then a good ph neutral bristol weight phase box is the best option, in my opinion. Mylar is static and has a tendency to pick up particles - particularly red rot and sooty/ashy edges. By isolating the text block you'll likely reduce any smudging/staining and the phase box will contain any chipping or breaking of leaves or covering materials.
You undoubtedly know all this already, but that would be my approach to this unfortunate situation.
I'm not familiar with the polypropylene film and would be curious as to whether it had similar static elements to mylar. Please let me know it's disposition in this regard, if you would.
Best of luck,
Brian Maloney
Bookbinder/Conservator
Toronto, Canada

Colleagues,
I have an unusual challenge: A client has a nine-volume set of rare, valuable books that was damaged by fire. Unfortunately, the cost for the necessary treatment exceeds the budget. The books will probably be sold "As Is".
As I prepare to return the books, we are looking for an interim cover that would protect the contents from any further damage from the dusty, red-rotted, now smoke damaged leather; some of the sewing is also broken so there are loose leaves as well.
A suitable wrapper would be ideal, and yet allow a new/future owner to have the books properly treated.
A phase box is another possibility, but I wonder if there is anything else? I also know that some libraries use a clear, plastic film, dust-jacket type wrapper to hold and protect a cover from further exposure --- I recently obtained some soft, archival polypropylene film that would be a good possibility.
I wonder if there are any other alternatives or suggestions from the List?
Thanks for your help,
Bill Minter

William Minter Bookbinding & Conservation, Inc. 4364 Woodbury Pike Woodbury, PA 16695 814-793-4020 Fax: 814-793-4045 Email: wminter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx