[BKARTS] Interim covers for damaged leather, rare books

Interim covers for damaged leather, rare books

Hi Bill,
I agree with Brian, the Mylar is not an option I would go with I have
seen this done with red rotted leather and it ends up with bits stuck to
the Mylar and looking 'dirty' - as well as loosing bits of the book
covers due to friction. I'm not sure if this would be appropriate but I
have seen books temporarily stored tied with twill tape in book shoes.
Where your books are fire damaged a fully covering phase box might be
more appropriate. In the past, I have made temporary phase boxes, for
items being crated and shipped, out of lightweight yellow folder
material (I forget the trade name). It's not as rigid as blue or grey
board but does provide protection and containment. It's also cheaper
when the sturdiness isn't required.
Cheers,
Lee.
Paper Conservator, Calgary, AB.