We are offering two hands-on instructional workshops with Ruth Edwards, book artist, curator of our exhibit, and founder of New York based Books in Black, a collective of individuals of African ancestry who have been dubbed "ordinary people making extraordinary books." Both workshops are geared towards educators, though anyone with an interest in making handmade books will benefit. Previous bookmaking experience is not required.

"Gourmet Books with Edible Looks"
That's right, you will make a meal--or at least what looks like one-- of five different book structures that will look like a salad, a sandwich, a beverage, a dessert, and a snack. This fun-filled workshop is designed for emerging and established book artists. It's not only fun, it's appetizing, and especially tasty for teachers.

	Saturday, February 17, 2007
	10:00am to 4:30pm at the Jaffe Center for Book Arts
	$80 tuition, plus $15 materials fee ($95 total)
	Class limit: 12

"Quick and Easy Book Making"
Making books doesn't have to be difficult. In fact, it should be fun-- and it is--in this workshop where participants will make between six and eight simple books by the end of the day. There might be books with pockets, pamphlets, a gift book that ties with a bow, accordions, a hard cover book without a spine, a book that explodes, a book in a box, and more. This is a great workshop for beginners and an excellent class for teachers.

	Sunday, February 18, 2007
	10:00am to 4:30pm at the Jaffe Center for Book Arts
	$80 tuition, plus $15 materials fee ($95 total)
	Class limit: 12

Basic information on these newly-added workshops may also be found at our website, and we'd appreciate you passing the information along to anyone you may feel may have an interest. One of Ruth's primary goals with this exhibit and with these workshops is to get kids involved in the book arts, and the best way to do so is by teaching teachers to make books, so they can then pass on the knowledge and skills to their students. A chain reaction! Here's the link to our workshops page:

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/jaffeworkshops.htm

For more information on these workshops, or to register, contact me, John Cutrone, Jaffe Center Book Arts Coordinator, at (561) 297-0455, or email jcutrone@xxxxxxxx I'll be back in a couple of weeks with a new message to the Book Arts Discussion List with more details on this fascinating exhibit and other events with Ruth Edwards, including two gallery talks (one on Friday, February 16; the other on Monday, February 19).

John Cutrone Book Arts Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Libraries 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, Florida 33431 http://www.jaffecollection.org