Re: [BKARTS] reversible, archival glues

The Rhoplex and Lascaux adhesives that are commonly used in conservation
are acrylic dispersions which naturally operate at a higher pH than the
PVA's. Jade 403N was the poly vinyl acetate (PVA) adhesive that
performed the best in tests published several years ago. The acrylic
dispersions also performed well. I think the study was conducted by CCI.

The thing that creates the difference in quality is having an
internally-plasticized material rather than having a bunch of additives
with unfavorable deterioration in terms of color, texture, pH, et
cetera. Pure PVA solutions are much more chemically stable and
reversible (the ones with "AYA" in the name: AYAC, AYAF, AYAT) than the
dispersions.  These are clear plastic blobs that must be dissolved in
organic solvents for use, like a varnish resin. In paper conservation, I
know many people use these PVA solutions for consolidation treatment of
distemper (animal glue-based paint/printing ink) wall paper. The
solutions are water-clear, but the "white" dispersions or emulsions can
contain dozens of additives. Some of the cheaper brands also have
additives to extend shelf life (prevent the resin from separating out
and sinking to the bottom of the jar, prevent mold, etc). The fewer
ingedients, the better, in terms of conservation.

Valinda Carroll