To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] reversible, archival glues

There are huge differences between PVA adhesives. As far as the "tests" go, you can throw them out the window. They were done by Norbert Baer at the NYU conservation center over 30 years ago, and reprinted by the Guild of BookWorkers during that era. It was very useful info at the time.

I saw Dr. Baer at the Grolier Club a few years ago and asked him whether those results were still valid. He said that the manufacturers had changed formulas many times since then, and did not disclose the changes. Some of the manufacturing companies had changed hands as well. He advised not to rely on the old data.

I use Jade 403 for general purposes, but use Promacto A1023 for boxmaking because of its high tack and fast set.

Richard
http://minsky.com