From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Richard Minsky
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 4:12 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] reversible, archival glues

There are huge differences between PVA adhesives. As far as the
"tests" go, you can throw them out the window.  They were done by
Norbert Baer at the NYU conservation center over 30 years ago, and
reprinted by the Guild of BookWorkers during that era.  It was very
useful info at the time.

I saw Dr. Baer at the Grolier Club a few years ago and asked him
whether those results were still valid. He said that the
manufacturers had changed formulas many times since then, and did not
disclose the changes. Some of the manufacturing companies had changed
hands as well. He advised not to rely on the old data.

I use Jade 403 for general purposes, but use Promacto A1023 for
boxmaking because of its high tack and fast set.

Richard
http://minsky.com

The information contained in this message is intended only for the recipient, and may otherwise be privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, please be aware that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. This footnote also confirms that this email has been scanned for all viruses by the Hampton University?s Center for Information Technology Enterprise Systems service.