Re: [BKARTS] reversible, archival glues

>I was talking about the tests done by CCI in the mid-1990's, with Jane
>Down as the primary researcher. I realize that that still leaves room
>for manufacturers to change formulas, but I don't think it is fair to
>disparage someone else's work so readily.

(snip)

I attended a conference in Canada when Jane Down presented her research, and
the slides of dried, darkened PVA chips was very informative.

One of the things I've learned in more than 30 years in the business of
restoration
is that the old ways are, generally, the best ways.

In my early days in the business, if an article or presentation at a
conference I attended
suggested a 'new' chemical solution to a problem I was all over it.

Now, I have shelves of old chemicals which are unused and very out-of-date.

There are quick & easy solutions to many problems, but they require good
hand & eye
coordination, and the application of traditional materials.

Sometimes the traditional materials are not available in general commerce.

Learn to make them.  Use them.  Move on.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217