Re: [BKARTS] wiki wacked out

Last year, I read a critical article in a well known magazine that argued the Wikipedia could not a true creditable reference such as an Encyclopedia. This was in part blamed on the vanity postings of several pop culture DJs who would go in at will and change their bios to make them look good. So in affect, they could write their own history. Based on such open forum editing allowing a democratic contribution of content, the article stated that the information in WP could not be trusted, since the content didn't come from objective scholars. Since that article, I have noticed that WP, has become more careful about the source of their content.

I can certainly see how Mr. Seigel's case could be an exception given his contribution to journalism and the arts. And I like the idea of self referential art because that is the subject you know best. I haven't thought of it in that context before. But I can also see WP trying to keep the content creditable. It is sort of a catch 22, if WP becomes a place where the content can't be trusted as creditable then no one would use it. I think self referential art needs to be defined clearly to distinguish it from self promotion.

I don't know about others but I find the discussion about whether or not the content stays or goes a very interesting process in this publishing paradigm. Imagine having this discussion with the Encyclopedia publishers who publish content only from the most respected of scholars such as Carl Sagan and other notables. The conversation would be very different. I think WP strives to walk a balanced line between being as open and democratic as possible while maintaining credibility.

Good luck Mr. Seigel on your entry. I think you have been courageous in telling your story and making it into art. I also think a self referential article on art would be great start in informing the public about the art process from a personal point of view.