[BKARTS] Wood for coptic binding?

What's an easy source for wood in convenient sizes for making coptic-bound books in bulk? Even though it's the strongest, I don't want plywood, because it doesn't look natural. I want a darkish or reddish hardwood with a natural, ancient look. Hopefully fairly inexpensive but still beautiful.

What kind of finish (or varnish?) do you recommend to bring out the wood's natural beauty?

How could I write something on the wood cover. I was thinknig of getting a custom-made branding iron to simply "burn" in a logo centred on the cover of the book. Are there other "primitive" methods of putting a symbol on the cover?

Sonja
www.kisa.ca