Re: [BKARTS] Wood for coptic binding?

Sonja,

I would recommend walnut wood, which can be treated (sometimes with just water based polyurethane) to really bring out the natural grain. If you have an exotic hardwood supplier in your area, I'd suggest contacting them and going to look at all the luscious woods that are out there. Some of the hardwoods that may suit your aesthetic needs aren't necessarily expensive. There are so many beautiful woods in the world. You also might want to check in with yourself about how that sits ethically with you regarding exotics and deforestation. Ask a supplier what kind of methods they use/support for acquiring their wood.

I've been working with some wooden covers that are engraved with a laser that does emulate the "branding" look that you're interested in. Check out sign making companies that may do this service. I'm working with a gorgeous deep red African wood called Padauk, which when laser cut (which does burn the wood a bit) turns the cut surface a deep purple red. Ooooohhhh laaa laaa.

Hope this helps,

Micah Pulleyn

www.ashevillebookworks.com
BookWorks