From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ann
Kronenberg
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 5:08 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Papers for Paste Paper

Kathy--

Many people use Mohawk Superfine (available from any paper or bookbinding
supplier) for paste paper.

I personally like bristol paper as my "standard" paper for making paste
papers (many manufacturers make bristol papers). It comes in several
thicknesses, so that I can choose the weight according to what I'm using the
finished paper for. 1-ply or 2-ply is fine for covering boards and boxes.
The edges of 1-ply tend to curl when it drys so that 2-ply which dries
flatter is easier to measure and cut. It also comes in different surfaces,
in 100% cotton, sulphite pulp, sulphur-free, etc., and is available at any
art supplier as well as paper and bookbinding suppliers.

I also love to use Rives Lightweight or Heavyweight, but many good quality
printmaking papers will work well.

The surface texture and absorbancy of the paper influences the way the combs
glide over the paper and the look of the finished paper. You should start by
buying a few sheets of each of several different papers and experiment to
see what papers you like to use. Since you mention that you have watercolor
paper, try lightweight watercolor paper. I have also heard of people using
Asian papers (aka rice paper or mullberry
paper) for making paste paper.

The way you know that a paper is inappropriate for paste paper is if little
balls of pulp form on the surface of the paper (like the "pills" on an old
sweater or cotton shirt) or it tears when you pull the comb across the
paper. However, I've even successfully used newsprint to make paste-paper
giftwrapping paper.

Ann

________
Never miss an email again!