From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Valinda Carroll
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 7:01 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: High Gluten flour

As a vegetarian, I use vital wheat gluten to make homemade seitan, but
there is no way I'd use it as an adhesive. As Verheyen and others
pointed out on the "archival adhesive" thread, STARCH is the time-tested
adhesive that works so well. Impure flour pastes contain a lot of things
that do not contribute to the longevity of your paper. Please stick to
precipitated wheat starch (AYTEX-P or Zen Shofu) or rice starch. Gluten
is the protein part of the flour that is removed in the starch-making
process. It has completely different working properties and
deterioration by-products.

And regarding gelatin, the photographic grade, if you can get it, is
"cleaner" than regular food grade (colorless, odorless, unlike regular
hide glue).

Valinda Carroll