From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Peter Verheyen
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 6:47 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: more questions!

>>> carrie v  <amaranthpress@xxxxxxxxx> 2/1/2007 6:30 AM >>>

I make it the same way you make Jello. I actually got my gelatin in bulk
(cheaper). They're very fine crystals and I put a quantity in the
double-boiler inset of my glue pot (yes, it needs to be used warm) and cover
with cold water. When that is absorbed I may add some more and see how much
continues to be absorbed. Depends on the consistency you want. Then warm up.
If you get burned 1st degree it's a touch too hot.

Pre-gel/no cook wheatpaste is also available from TALAS
<http://www.talasonline.com> and Bookmakers
<http://www.bookmakerscatalog.com/>.

How are you making your methylcellulose. Hopefully not just putting the
powder in the PVA. For use with PVA I make up about a 10% solution. That
means 10 grams to 100ml of water. To make up, take perhaps a 10th of that
and heat really hot, stir in your methylcellulose powder (it doesn't
clump/swell in hot water) and mix well. Then top off with cold water, still
stirring. Let stand, or put in fridge until it's nice and smooth. THEN mix
with PVA.

Avoid flex-board... If it's the stuff I remember, it's horrible and
deteriorates quickly. I would use Stonehenge thin card/folderstock type
paper or 10pt folder stock. Even plain manila folders are better raw
material than Red-flex.

No clue as to how to price the guarding/mending of your book. How many
signatures are there, pages/signature, extent of damage. I use a baseline
hourly rate of $60.

Hope this helps, Peter