Re: [BKARTS] more questions!

Carrie,

I too am an amateur bookbinder, having completely rebound/reconstructed only
a couple dozen books -- including seven soft cover Bibles.  Most have turned
out pretty well, I am extremely pleased with two of them (as were the
owners), and a few of them were just pitiful.  I have never charged more
than the cost of materials.  This works very well when someone wants a book
bound in leather because several have been willing to buy a whole skin for
the project, and I still keep the remaining 60-80%.  Any hours I spend doing
the work I consider as good experience and a favor for a friend.

It sounds, however, that your book in question needs more attention than any
I have done.  If it were me, I would charge materials plus a reasonably low
flat rate.  "Reasonably low" could mean anything depending on the book, how
good a friend, whether or not a deadline is given, etc.

Just my $.02

Chad Longley
chad.longley@xxxxxxx

...snip...