Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 2 Feb 2007 to 3 Feb 2007 (#2007-34)

I'll SAY IT AGAIN: If Ihad my druthers, I'd rather be make art that is art than archival. Archival is an 'emperor without clothes' . Too much space her is taken up with crafting and buying the right book supplies, and it outweighs all other discourse as to what books express .... exemplify as a genre of ART!

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Valinda Carroll
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 5:20 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: High Gluten flour

Precipitated wheat starch is what is left when the starch is separated
from the bran (lots of fiber), germ (lots of fats/oils), gluten
(protein), etc, etc. It is a purified starch, so as to have the highest
percentage of starch, and lowest percentage of gluten that is practical.
For seitan , one uses almost pure gluten (protein); for bread baking,
one uses a higher gluten flour (hard red wheat) than for pastry or cake
baking, but all of those flours are very impure mixtures of compounds.
Durum flour for pasta is also a high-gluten flour. So when I said
"starch-making," I should have said "starch-separating."

I don't know if one can buy 100% amylose, but that would be pure starch.

Valinda Carroll