Re: [BKARTS] Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for the Book Arts at Florida Atlantic University

Okay, I'm not sure whether Lee Kirk thinks we're located in New York, or if, after visiting our website, Lee just wants to be as far away from us as possible! But thank you to Dot Krause for the kind words, and also to Lee, for what I will take as enthusiasm.

The soon-to-be-moved-into Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts is indeed not in New York, but in Boca Raton, Florida, at Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library. The weather, Lee, is generally quite pleasant, though it's a bit gray and dreary today (the same cold front that rained so hard upon Prince and the Super Bowl last night in Miami, which is not far from here). There are, however, a lot of transplants from New York here in this town. Many of them drive aggressively on the wide boulevards and call the place BO-CA.

We do like to think we're creating something special here, from scratch, at the new Jaffe Center. And though Seth Thompson and I have been trying to steer things in what we believe is the right direction, the credit for creating this center goes solely to Arthur and Mata Jaffe, who had the foresight to give their collection of artists' books to this university in 1998. Things have grown exponentially from there, and we thank them. Their support of this library and its efforts to bring the book arts to the "South Florida Frontier" has been nothing short of extraordinary.

March 27 is a very auspicious date for the new center... if you think you'll find yourself in our area. More details to come, and the Book Arts List will be amongst those to hear them. If, however, you'd prefer to be on our direct email (and/or postal mail) list, send me an email off-list: jcutrone@xxxxxxxx

John

John Cutrone
Book Arts Coordinator
The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Boca Raton, Florida
http://www.jaffecollection.org