Re: [BKARTS] Seeking advice on sealing and adhereing photos to wooden blocks

Bea,

Don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but I seal things on various
projects such as painted wood, attaching papers to objects, and so
on.... with the water-based polyurethane varnish from the hardware
store.  It dries quickly, makes a hard coating, goes on very thin, comes
in satin or gloss, and stays crystal clear (for as long as I've had the
items).

I suggest you try it out!  I use the brush on kind, not a spray can.

Jim Wittstruck

>>> Bea Pierce <bea@xxxxxxxxx> 1/31/2007 8:25 PM >>>
Hiya,

I'm new to this list and would appreciate some advice. I'm working on a

project at the moment which is a sort of derivative of book art,
crossed
with interactive media meets installation art. If that makes any
sense!!

Essentially, I am making a series of 16 wooden (pine) bricks, each of
which has photographs attached to the fascias. Each brick tells a
story;
the bricks as a whole tell whatever story the viewer/constructor
creates. (The images are of walls, signage, graffiti, public art,
street
posters etc. Some are politcal messages, some are textural
'landscapes'.)

So far, I've sealed the wooden bricks with gesso and am wondering what

to use to adhere the photos to the wood. I have PVA craft glue for
woodworking - but I'm not sure if it's acid-free? I have another
acid-free glue (called Helmar) which is for book binding - but I'm not

sure whether it will adhere to wood? I also have a Xyron sticker maker
-
but again, will this adhere to wood? And with all of these things,
would
they be archival?

I want people to be able to interact with the bricks and play around
with them - without destroying them! So I'm also looking for advice on

ways to seal them, to prevent fingerprints and damage from handling.

I've played around with gel medium, but the one I have seems to put an

oil slick across the photos (which are printed on Epson semi-gloss
archival professional paper with my Epson 1290 pro photo printer FYI if

it helps). I also played around with a crackle medium, which did
nothing.

Do you have any advice on a product I could use? Some sort of varnish
maybe? A spray-on gloss maybe?

Thanks in advance,
Bea

--