Re: [BKARTS] Archival oils on paper

As I'm sure you know, the oil will degrade the paper in time. Also, the subsequent layer of acrylic or spray fix won't stick permanently to the oil surface, (even after it's completely dry). I whole heartedly support your discouragement. Wax is definitely a better way to go.
Mardy

From: Kathleen Garness <kmgfinearts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [BKARTS] Archival oils on paper
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 20:30:55 -0600

A friend sent me the following query. Could I impose on the collective wisdom of the group to support my discouragement of this approach?

Thanks,

Kathy G

I am trying to increase the transparency (translucency?) of
paper-plastic scrapbooking vellum. The best solution I can think of is
to use Liquin or linseed oil soaked into the paper. Since the treated
sheet will also be touching paper around it, I will need to seal it so
the oil doesn't bleed. My first thought was to use a acrylic sealer. I
could also use spray-fix, but I don't have much faith that it would
cover the entire surface well enough to prevent bleeding. Can I treat
both sides or does the oil need to breath as it ages? How archival  would
this method be? Any other ideas?

~Tiffany Miller

Every Day Is a New Beginning

Laugh, share and connect with Windows Live Messenger http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline