Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 5 Feb 2007 to 6 Feb 2007 (#2007-37)

Dear Norman,

>>> I'd rather choose making it art than 'ARCHIVAL' Have you noted my
>>> comments ant BOOK_ART on this issue? I'm saying that the talk of
glues
>>> and recipes is too predominating. The "Emperor has no clothes'. It
has
>>> all to do with artists making art. Book art is nothing without the
>>> books being to begin with saying something, expressing something of
>>> lasting and universal relevance. The craftsy stuff is nothing
without
>>> it being expressive of something beyond 'preservation'.

I do agree that "Book art" should be half about the "art", but I
consider the physical construction of the book to be an important half
of the idea of "book-art".
I am very biased on this issue, I will freely admit. It stems from my
training, for good or ill. Beyond conservation, when I studied sculpture
the professor always told us to be aware of every aspect of the
materials we used and to make sure those materials reflected the meaning
of the piece. Using 'un-archival' materials is valid - if they are there
for a reason and support what I am doing. They shouldn't be there by
default because I couldn't be bothered to find out what I am working
with.

In the spirit of amiable disagreement,
Lee.