Re: [BKARTS] BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 6 Feb 2007 to 7 Feb 2007 (#2007-38)

Books are often defined by the lives that they live.

I make books that are archivally sound. They are not going to last forever,
but they will probably last for at least a century. In fact, I have found
books that are bound that are not as 'sound' as my binding that are 100+
years old.

What I do to the books I make is to see them live...

Have you ever drilled through a book that you have made that is a
sound/archival bind?

Have you ever jammed a pair of scissors through an archival book?

Have you ever set fire to a book you have made when you strive to make a
book that might last for centuries?

I'm not trying to sound like I am anti-aesthetic or a "biblio-clast". I make
these works for different reasons. The point I am trying to make is that
Books LIVE, they have lives like us, they deteriorate and die. That is a
fact of being a part of this world. That we strive against that trend is no
fault. The only inevitability is death. Objects suffer for this too, the
only spooky thing is that they often outlive us.

Where would Archaeology be without Craft?

Craft (and pride in it) is not a fault. In this consumer based world, the
'point' or message would be taken quicker than the medium - quicker than a
hypochondriac gulping a pill - but the craft IS a point. Craft, and a slow
and meticulous craft like bookbinding, can be seen as an anti-capitalist
rebuttal in the right context - to make slowly for the pleasure of making,
rather than rampant proliferation for consumption's sake. There are also
other ways to see the 'point' of craft.

Let's not belittle 'craft' with a word like 'archival'. One is
consumer/commercially based, the other is one of spirit and devotion.

Ego aside, yes, not all Art is meant to outlive it's maker, not all craft is
meant to live longer than it took to make. Who is the judge? Who deems
something Art and something Craft? Community is the main result of the
contributions of a variety of practitioners. Consensus seems a dirty word in
Art as it has a history of being elitist... but consensus is what builds
community and community is what builds the value of Art and the value of
Craft.

Let go the problems of "Archival" and "Art". Make for the makers that you
are, and contribute to your communities. Find value in those around you, but
make for the hope that your message might last.

Andrew Williams
Pickafight Books
Stanmore NSW Australia
pickafightbooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pickafightbooks.com

Dear Signa,

I believe (realio trulio) that not all art be ethically required to
attain longevity.
It is but one attribute. Speaking only for myself, I can say the ethics
of it is the
least of my concerns. Whether my works are around after I die is however
another matter!  I'd like to think that it will. And though I've made
out my last will
and testament to designate to designate the library for the remainder
of own collection, I have no doubt that my doing so has other
motivations
than what you are addressing.

I am an artist making what I am compelled to make. It is what I do.
The best that and most honest thing I can say of it is that I am
grateful
for the reality of it making me!

I invite you, SIgna, and 'the rest of you' to visit my web sites to
perhaps further acquaint yourselves with this work that makes
me.

Norman Shapiro

http://artasidentity.blogspot.com
http://ufemisms.com/