[BKARTS] Grain rules?

If I understand correctly, the grain rule is to have the grain of paper parallel to the spine of the book. When folding paper into signatures, I need to use paper that is grain short. Yet in every stationery store I visit, their home printer-size papers (legal, letter, etc.) are only grain long.

(They only seem to have very large paper like 11 by 17 with grain short. Yet I want my final book to be roughly 6 inches wide by 9 inches tall, so I need paper that is 9 by 12. Letter or legal is close enough.)

Does that mean I have to go to a special supplier for grain-short paper that will fit in my home printer? Can you recommend one?

Or is it recommended to break the grain rule when self-publishing a book using legal or letter size paper folded in two? And if so, what are the long-term risks to the quality of my book?

Somebody also suggested I get 11 by 17 grain long and cut it in half, but that seems like an extra step in the process I would like to avoid.

Any suggestions?

Sonja
www.kisa.ca