Re: [BKARTS] Grain rules?

If I understand correctly, the grain rule is to have the grain of paper parallel to the spine of the book. When folding paper into signatures, I need to use paper that is grain short. Yet in every stationery store I visit, their home printer-size papers (legal, letter, etc.) are only grain long.

You can also buy paper at any good art supply store and cut it to the size you want with the grain in the proper direction: I've been doing that with my books lately, and have run everything from tatami, through MiTeines, and even Strathmore Aquarius paper through my Epson with great results. So long as you keep in mind the printer's requirements, you should do fine.

Apart from a bit of effort to cut the paper, you gain the flexibility to do different sizes, have a wider range of colours and textures to work with, and make your work stand out. That's a fair trade-off in my world.

Linda