[BKARTS] SoCal APHA Second Salon

MOVEABLE TYPE...AND PRESSES...AND CABINETS

SoCal APHA’s “Salon Series” will be informal, social, and stimulating events that will occur on an irregular basis and at a variety of locations. And, like the celebrated gatherings held at the homes of worldly and gracious hosts and hostesses in the 18th and 19th centuries, we will aim to bring together a variety of people to discuss designated topics in an informal, participative environment. Therefore, we will encourage widespread participation in lively discussions, sharing of materials and experiences, and the formation of new friendships as well as the acceptance of new ideas and modes of thinking about the printed word.

Our second Salon topic will center around such letterpress issues as moving type and presses, acquiring new equipment, divesting equipment, where to find (and the cost of) new or used type, finding paper that works well with metal type, ink suppliers, photopolymer plates and non-toxic solvents. Participants are encouraged to be prepared to tell stories about moving heavy metal. Where to acquire type and presses in this digital era should be a hot topic. Those who don’t own equipment but want to know more about letterpress services are quite welcome. An added bonus: our host Andre Chaves will take us on a tour of his letterpress equipment.

Bring snacks and beverages to share.

American Printing History Association
Southern California APHA: Salon 2
March 10, 2007
7:00 p.m.
Location: Andre Chaves home
627 S. Euclid Ave
Pasadena, CA 91106

RSVP Richenda Brim
rbrim@xxxxxxxxx
Deadline for reservations: March 7, 2007
Reservations are limited to the space available
Directions to the salon will be sent to you when you make your reservation