Re: [BKARTS] Grain rules?

Sonja:

I agree with everything Linda said concerning the
trade-off in time to cut paper to size being worth
what you get in variety of paper available for your
purposes.

However, you also ask about the risks involved in
disregarding the grain papallell to the spine rule. It
is more difficult to make a clean accurate fold across
the grain. You may have to score. A fold across the
grain breaks the fibers of the paper so that with time
the paper may split along a cross-grain fold. You see
this happen in pop-up books where folds must be made
across the grain. Books with the grain running across
the page often don't open properly and the pages don't
turn well. You see this happen in cheaply produced
commercial paperbacks. And last, in a humid climate,
the pages of a book may swell & expand perpendicular
to the direction of the grain. If that expanding paper
is constrained along one edge by a binding because the
grain parallel to the spine rule was violated, the
pages can become rippled.

Ann