From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Don
Drake
Sent: Sunday, 11 February 2007 09:29
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Grain rules?

Barbara,

I have a different printer, an HP Designjet 130 but the principles are
the same. On the HP site I found some technical specs about the
printers paper handling capabilities through various paper paths (the
130 has 3). The LB ratings for paper handling are pretty useless in my
opinion and so I base my decisions on the paper caliper instead
(thickness) which is also provided in the specs.

I print Mohawk Superfine, 80lb text in my printer all the time and with
excellent results and almost never a jam or miss-feed even though the
specs say 40lb is the max for the normal tray paper path. But the
mohawk is only 75% of the maximum rated caliper for this path so I am
actually well within tolerance.

Find some detailed specs (possibly in the deep dark back of your user
manual), get a pair of cheep calipers at your hardware store so you can
figure the thickness of your paper, then get to work!

Regards,
Don Drake
Dreaming Mind

ddrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx