To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2007 5:30 PM
Subject: [BKARTS] Printing on 'Art papers'

I'ld be very wary of putting paper through a printer that are not specified
by the manufacturer - or designed for printing with a bubble or laser
printer. What do you mean by Art papers? Do you mean a cotton rag or
something? Beware.
How much is your printer worth?

I have used an old bubble jet that I picked up very cheap to run 300GSM
Hahnemule through. It was great fun, i got some great results - needless to
say, I no longer have that cheap bubble jet printer.

The cheaper and more basic the printer, the more success you will have
putting rag paper through of any weight, but for a short time.

The more sophisticated the printer (esp. Laser) the more likely you are to
damage your printer - quickly.

A good alternative that I have seen used by Printmakers in Australia is
T-Shirt transfers or heat transfers. You can even print etchings straight on
top of them, and still emboss with superb results. You just have to get used
to the plastic surface.

Andrew Williams
Pickafight Books
Stanmore NSW Australia