Re: [BKARTS] Nylon cerex and Bostick heat set tissue

Hi,

This is my first posting to this group. A nice group with a lot of good answers to quistons.
I also use heat-set tissue for modern paper after 1850 and where only the information is the most important to preserve.
I have used Area Bonded tissue (from preservation Equipment) to cover the backside of treasingpaper, you know that thin paper used by architects and boat drawers.
It works good and the paper become useful and flexible again. This method is durable for at least 125 years. Of cource I know that japanesepaper and paste is the very best and number one in restoration of paper. Using heat to paper is banned by many conservators. An alternative is to use alcohol to fasten heat-set tissue to paper.

The difference between nylon and polyester is very little. It is oilproducts, but nylon is more smooth and have a lower melting point than polyester. In France (some years ago) they used to laminate very deterioated paper after 1850 between nylon.

PVA or acrylic glues are not removable over time. Removable is better to use that reversible, because whatever we are doing to books or paper it can never be the same again. Paste and gelatine are removable after decades of years.

Yes nothing last forever. Good storage with low temperature and stable humidity is a very good way to prolong the life of paper and books.

Kind regards

Søren

You can see here what I am doing:

<http://www.ub.ntnu.no/formidl/utgivelser/til_opplysning/to_nr12.html>