Re: [BKARTS] Barrow Two-Step Method

Hi Jane,

In the early seventies I learn Barrows doubeleshot at the Conservator school in Copenhagen. Some years after I left the mothode, and used the recommendations given by Margaret Hey in The Paper Conservator Vol. 4 (1979) pages 66 - 80. Mix 40 grms Ca(OH)2 in 25 ltrs of water. Mix the clear solution with water 1:1. The paper is between bondina nonwoven polyester. Soak it in the solution for at least 20 minutes or longer. Take it up and let it dry on drying racks.
The Ca(OH)2 will react with the CO2 in the air to CaCO3 which gives the buffer. The methode is useful to paper with printed text. Colors and ironink can changes in a high pH solution, in this case the pH should not be higher than pH 9. You just add more water to the solution until pH 9.

Søren