Re: [BKARTS] cleaning brushes

I've gotten dried PVA out of brushes by soaking them in a very dilute aqueous solution of house ammonia for a few hours. I'm fairly certain that the ammonia would not be great for expensive artist brushes, but it seems to work well enough on the cheap brushes I tend to use in PVA.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Susan Lunas" <bookbinder@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 11:30 AM
Subject: cleaning brushes

Hi, Peter,
A while back I learned a trick to clean out dried PVA from brushes that
works almost all of the time. Simply place the bristles in paste ( the
consistency of pudding or drier). Check the bristles every day or so to
see if the PVA has softened-- and it will though it takes several days.
As the PVA softens, you can wash/rub it out. Return the brush to the
paste fand repeat the cycle until the brush is clean. This has worked
well for me on at least one brush where the dried PVA was several years old.

Susie Lunas
Many Moons Book Conservation
Eugene, Oregon